Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Growing Gratitude- My Plant SuperNanny

     Photo by Sasha McCay

 "Growing Gratitude" will be a recurring post theme, as there is so much I am thankful for this year. Today, I am thankful for our new greenhouse and the generosity of the lovely ladies that made having this resource at the farm possible: The Westport Woman's Club and Robin Tauck. 

    More frosts will be rolling in soon. But I'll have fresh salad on the dinner table at Christmas. I will also be able to provide fresh greens and veggies to Westport's Gillespie Center for months to come, and that makes my heart happy! 

    This freedom greenhouse is truly incredible. It combines green technology with simple beauty, and sure does make raising seedlings a fun and easier job. You set the temperature you want to keep them at, and running off solar power, it regulates to that temperature on its own, opening up roof vents and a side slat when it is too warm, on days like today.

   But my favorite feature are the flood tables. No joke...they water themselves! Just fill the large pails underneath with water, and keep them filled, and the flood tables draw from this source twice per day to fill the tables bottom watering the plants, growing nice and healthy root systems. Then the unused water is sucked back up, recycled for the next watering. 

    This incredible teaching tool allows us to teach the children who visit the farm about solar power, recycling, water quality, what plants and roots need to grow best, and also provides the perfect setting to teach young children how to plant seeds! What an incredible resource for the children of Westport! 

    My bottomless thanks to the Westport Woman's Club, and Robin Tauck for helping to bring me this plant Super Nanny, which gives me more time to nurture my own children and the children of Westport, and for that I am so thankful!


No comments:

Post a Comment