Friday, November 7, 2014

Re"cycling": Carrie Rides Again!



Dad came over today with a gift after cleaning out the storage facility. 

Though it was many years ago, 1989 to be exact, I'll never forget the happiness, pride, and shock I felt on the morning of my sixth birthday to discover my parents had bought me a bike of my very own. The biggest on the block, a twelve speed.

 "It is big", said Mom, "just like you asked for", with that be-careful-what-you-wish-for tone. 
"You'll fit on it forever", Dad added, smiling, because he would never have to buy another. 

When I was nine, a popped tire at the time of a house move sent this awesome gift into storage. I never asked for another bike, because I knew I had this one, but also never made an effort to retrieve it as I was usually playing sports rather than biking around. 

The 80's are evident in the neon colors, purple and hot pink, my favorites at the time. And I'm definately a bit bigger. But this is the ultimate Re-"cycling" project! Can't wait to fix it up, and ride it around with my kids! 

Now if I could only find my matching leg-warmers! 
Carrie in 1989.



No comments:

Post a Comment